Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Bad News

So my doctors visit didn't go that great.

Dr. Allred measured me and commented, "Wow, your baby really likes to grow". That should have been the first bad sign. Next he did a vaginal exam--nothing is happening, no effacement or dilation--the second bad sign. Then he asked me if I still wanted to try a vaginal birth--okay, I took that as the third bad sign. I said yes because I am very pro VBAC, as I know the doctors at my clinic are. Here is what he told me: my pubic bones are really tight and the baby is measuring really big. He thinks if I try a vaginal birth it would be very difficult and would probably end up in another emergency cesarean. Because of the size of the baby and the small birthing canal he thinks it would put too much stress on my scar, hence increasing my risk of uterine rupture. This could explain why I have such horrible hip pain in my third trimester...a big head trying to fit into little bones. He wanted to schedule a section for me for next Tuesday, but I told him I'd have to talk to my husband first. The doc told me that he doesn't see me going into labor before my due date at all. I take comfort in knowing that the doctors I see really like you to try to VBAC, so I know he isn't telling me this just so I'll have a section. So next Tuesday I have an appointment for an ultrasound to see how big the baby is getting. Then they will probably section me on Thursday-my due date. I feel very disappointed because I really thought I'd be able to have a vaginal birth. The last thing I want is to be cut open again! I hope this doesn't limit how many children we can have. I'd like to have at least four. Oh well, there is always the miracle of adoption if my uterus gets too weak.

4 comments:

tiff snedaker said...

Big huge ((HUGS)) Sara! Can I say I really understand where you are coming from? There is nothing more frustrating when you badly want a VBAC to hear everything you heard today. I felt the exact same way about the number of c-sections limiting us having a large family if we wanted one. If you do schedule a c-section it is MUCH better having it scheduled than having an emergency one. I'm interested to see how big your baby will be - your belly really has grown a lot in the last few weeks. Hang in there - if you need someone to talk to, I'm here! And we need to get together this week! The end is in sight - your precious little Jonas will be here soooo soon! I can't wait to meet him :)

Holly Mayer said...

hi Sara is is Kelly McKamey! She is so wonderful, I would have her as my doula any day. Good luck with this birthing. It is hard to know that your birthing plan may not go as you want but the end will be a beautiful baby boy. Any way you do it, it will be a joyful spiritual experience. we'll be praying for you.

Shaylen said...

I am sorry that you got such bad news. If you need any help at all, I know I can't relate, because I haven't had a child but you can call me if you need anything or any help. I can only imagine what you are going through.

Laura said...

it's very disappointing when things don't go the way you'd like them to. hang in there! i was glad to hear that your baby is healthy...and it is exciting to know that you will be holding him very soon!