Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Stars and Dots

We've been struggling over here lately with self-worth.   Yesterday, as I sat down for story time with Jonas and Mason, I noticed that Mason had picked out the book, You are Special. As we read, I knew this was what I needed to use for my FHE lesson. Later that afternoon I cut out a bunch of gray dots and gold stars to use for an object lesson.
Shortly before dinner, I handed out a bag of dots and stars to everyone.  I asked them to give out dots when we didn't like what someone did or said and to hand out gold stars when they did something we liked.  A few minutes into this, and I began to wonder if it had been such a good idea as we started sounding off our frustrations with each other.

When we finally sat down to do our FHE Lesson, we talked about how much we are loved by our Heavenly Father and how he knows each of us individually.  Then we read the book.  If you've never read it, I would highly recommend it. We discussed how, just like the little wooden people, everyday we get dots or starts put on us by other people.  Then I pointed out how we wanted to be like Lucia, who had no dots or stars because they wouldn't stick to her.  She had decided that what Eli (the woodcarver) thought of her was more important that what others thought. Then we all took off our dots and stars and talked about how we needed to focus more on what Heavenly Father thinks than what others do.
(Sorry about the dark, grainy photos...I only had time to snap a few pictures on my phone)

2 comments:

Alisha said...

What a great lesson! I'm sorry that Carson is having such a hard time at school! Hang in there!

Krysta McClure said...

FHE success... thanks to an in tune Mother, it seems! I can't remember if your oldest is turning eight this year.... I think that year before baptism, Satan attacks extra hard on these special little souls to deter them from taking that special step. He really doesn't want them to understand or remember just how special they are or where they came from. Good luck combating his tactics!!!! Makes for one worried Mom..... but you do a fantastic job!