Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Meeting Porter

{Before the Delivery}

Two very anxious parents, who managed only three hours of sleep.

A 6:00 AM check-in time at the hospital.

A crash-course for Daddy in using the DSLR camera...hence the blurry, head cut-off belly picture.

Getting hooked up to monitors, blood draws, and a painful IV.

A "belly-picture" of Daddy all suited up and ready to go to the OR.


One nervous Mommy as she walked into the OR and had a spinal block placed.

{During the Delivery}

A surprisingly fast birth.

An answer to prayers...scar tissue was miraculously better this time, which means less complications and more brothers (and maybe sisters) in the future!

The sweet sound of a newborn baby cry...before his body had even been delivered!

The time: 8:05 AM. 
The measurments: 7lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches.

Then the sound of a nurse next to me saying, "Sara, look at this."
A perfect knot in the cord.

Doctors explained to me that this is rare and my baby was VERY lucky to be alive.  A natural delivery could have been fatal. If he would have moved wrong in the womb and pulled it tight, he wouldn't have lived. A rush of emotion as I realized how very blessed we were to have a scheduled cesarean.  How very blessed I was to hear that newborn cry.

{After the Delivery}

The joy of finally meeting Porter.

Mom and Dad marvelling at the miracle of their newborn son.

Then an hour spent in recovery...snuggling our sweet boy and learning all over again how to nurse.

Finally a move upstairs to the postpartum unit.

Then a postpartum hemmorhage.

Everything felt like a blur to me. Doctors and nurses were coming in and out of the room.  There was near constant massaging of my uterus.  I was given three different medications that finally stopped the bleeding and saved me from being taken back into surgery. 

One of the most frightening things this mother has ever been through.

After everything was stabilized, it was time for Grandma and the brothers to meet Porter.


Such excited little boys!


And finally, having my little family all together.  How I love these boys!

8 comments:

Deanna said...

Oh, Sarah!!! You make ME want to have a fourth boy!!! LOL!

I LOVEd those pictures. Every. Single. One of them!!! Even the blurry one. Such a beautiful story!!! You should totally take THIS POST and make a little book for Porter. Precious little boys you have!!!

Krysta McClure said...

Perfectly captured, Sarah!

You are one beautiful mother. Thanks for sharing the miracles, big and small, of one special little boy.

Christine said...

What a story! I'm so glad everything turned out happy in the end. You're family is beautiful and brought tears to my eyes.

Sarah Miller said...

Oh goodness Sara! I'm so glad everything turned out ok. And by the way, it is so sweet seeing all of your boys together....perfect little family. :)

Alisha said...

Love the pictures as well!! What a story! So glad that everything turned out good!

Rachel said...

I totally understand the not sleeping before a scheduled C-section. It is like Christmas, except with tons of WORRY about the surgery and hoping that all will go well. Congrats on a fourth wonderful little boy! He is adorable.

Bishop Fillmore said...

congratulations to your family. we hope for a speedy recovery.

tiff snedaker said...

I love how you wrote this, and I love the black and white pictures. He is adorable!