Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Curse of the Christmas Tree

Wow, it has been a horrible year for Christmas Trees...for us anyway! Argh, I am beginning to think that this apartment is cursed. Don't laugh, I am serious.

The story begins on Thanksgiving Day. We decided to go up into the hills above Rexburg and cut a Christmas Tree. This isn't something we normally do because we have a beautiful fake tree that we snagged a few years back for only $11. But we thought it would be fun to take the boys up for a ride and pick out a tree. Well, we picked out our tree, hauled it down here and then the nightmare began!

We spent over 3 hours Sunday night trying to get the thing to stand up and work right. Finally, it was working and we decorated it...note here that I only used half of my ornaments as it was a really weak tree and could barely hold up a glass bulb. No kidding, we had to pick out the most flimsy tree in the mountains. We were almost done when Carson walked over to put the last bulb on it. As he was walking away the poor tree had had enough and the weight of that last bulb made it fall over. It took the next hour to convince Carson that he hadn't made the tree fall over...it really traumatized him--poor guy! Jeff stood the tree back up and we called it a night and decided we'd try again in the morning.

The next morning while Carson was still asleep and I was rocking Jonas in the back room, I heard a crash from the living room and knew that my poor little tree had fallen once again. By this time I was so frustrated, that after I picked up all the ornaments again, I took the tree down and put it out on the balcony. I immediately got my prized fake tree out.

We put up the fake tree last night and decorated it again. Finally, it seemed like things were back to normal and we had our Christmas tree up. Ha, ha! I came out to the living room this morning and saw the Christmas tree leaning forward. Then, with a crash it fell over! WHAT IS GOING ON!! That tree has NEVER fallen over, even with Carson tugging on it as a toddler. I looked underneath it and one of the plastic legs had snapped.

Now I know you're thinking that maybe I am overloading it with decorations, but I am not. Most of the stuff is glass bulbs that hardly weigh anything. So, I am going to let the poor tree lean against the corner the rest of the day while I decide what to do next.

Seriously, I've never ever had this much problem with trying to get a Christmas tree up. Must be this apartment...or Utah...or maybe we cut down the first tree on some ancient Indian burial ground. Either way something is amiss...

What is so wrong with wanting a Christmas Tree that stands there and looks pretty and doesn't feel the constant need to fall over??

5 comments:

Birch Family said...

sorry that isn't fun hope you get it worked out.

Deanna said...

WOW! I'm so sorry - but I'm having a hard time not laughing...your poor little trees, poor carson, and poor you!!! Seriously, I think your apartment is cursed, too! Good luck!

Audra said...

Yeah it's gotta be the apartment. :) Poor Carson. Last year we had a tree like that. I think it fell over twice before we wired it to the ceiling. LOL

Alisha said...

That was us last year! We broke the stand when we put it together last year! We tried everything, including super glueing the leg back together, but atlas nothing worked! We finally took our tree stand (the one used for real trees) and put the fake tree in it! That worked for the most part as long as no one leaned against! HA HA! Tis the season, right?

Sara Birch said...

Alisha--Super Glue worked for us (crossing my fingers...it hasn't fallen over yet!) Although I think Jeff is going to build a wooden base for it next year.