Saturday, December 11, 2010

What Would You Do?

So I made this quilt for my sister in law as a wedding present. I spent a lot of time and money doing it. Last week I got it back from the quilter and was absolutely appalled at the quality of work (of the quilter, that is). The front isn't so bad, but the back is horrifying. There are bubbles and wrinkles everywhere. See for yourself.
This is the one that really makes me mad...


I honestly can't believe this lady has her own quilting business! I've never stippled before, but I'm sure I could have done a better job! So what would you do? Call her back and demand a refund? I'm really not the confrontational type and don't know how I would handle that, but I can't let her walk off with my money after doing such a poor job. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this? Can I unpick it and have someone else fix it? I don't really have the money to pay to have it done a second time, so I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions? Anyone that can help me out??

7 comments:

Stacey said...

My mom is a pro quilter and I showed her this post. She couldn't believe how bad that looks! She said if you unpicked it it would take FOREVER. She unpicked a 5x7'' piece of a quilt she did and it took her hours. She also said the needlemarks never go away, so if you did unpick it, you'd have to buy a whole new back because you'd be able to see where you went over it again. She said probably your best bet is to tell the lady you're unhappy and see what she can do for you! Sorry! The front is totally beautiful! You did a great job! Hope it works out for you!

Deanna said...

If she won't refund you or offer to fix it, unpick it, and send it my way. :) I'd consider redoing it for you. For Free. When do you need it by? (I can do it if you don't need it before Christmas)

Did you or she use a quilt baste spray??? I use a spray to adhere it to avoid those problems...and after doing TWO twins this week, I didn't have any puckers like that.

I agree with Stacey about the needle holes...BUT if it's a wall-hanging, you won't see the back...if it's a throw quilt, you or your SIL could wash it, and the holes won't be AS noticeable.

So sorry!!! And the front is BEAUTIFUL!!!

P.S. DON'T trim the edges...it will make it harder to 're-quilt' it.

Alisha said...

Ohhh...that would make me so mad! Sorry that I can't offer any help except to agree that you need to take back to the lady and confront her about it. Good luck!

Alisha said...

Ohhh...that would make me so mad! Sorry that I can't offer any help except to agree that you need to take back to the lady and confront her about it. Good luck!

Crystal Hendrix said...

I agree with what everyone else said, see if she can do anything or unpick it. I can't see how she would get such puckering if she had a long arm. hmmm...

If you don't need it by Christmas maybe we can sit down and I can show you how to stipple so you can do it yourself if you like.

Laura said...

I would give her the chance to fix it. (if you feel comfortable with letting her work on it more.) If I were a business owner, I would want to know if a client was unhappy. We all tell our friends when we've had good or bad experiences with a business. It could be an awkward conversation to have, but you'd get through it! Good luck!

tiff snedaker said...

I don't quilt, but would be SO so mad if I went to have it quilted and it came back with bubbling like that. I think you need to address your concerns and ask her to fix it.