I know I've said this before, but my Grandma & Grandpa Carson meant so much to me. Obviously...I named my son after them. When I was younger I spent a lot of time at their house while my mom worked. In fact, most of my early memories are of being with them. Those days were precious and full of so much happiness. A few days before my Grandpa Carson passed away, I was talking with him. I'll never forget him telling me, in a broken voice, "Each day with you was such a blessing."
In his last days, my Grandpa taught me a valuable lesson: when it all comes down to it, what matters most is spending time with those you love and building memories. Isn't that a big part of this whole mortal experience? To build our eternal families? I am reminded of a passage from The Proclamation:
"In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshipped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress towards perfection and ultimately realize their divine destiny as heirs of eternal life. The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally."
This "earthly experience" hasn't always been a rose covered path for me...or for anyone. There have been times when I've felt so overwhelmed, discouraged, and depressed that I've felt myself wanting to slip into despair. As some of you may know, I went through a pretty rough patch after Mason was born. In short, depression is horrible, and a place I never want to go to again. Without an eternal perspective of who I am and what I'm doing here I don't know what I would have done. The knowledge that all my trials lead me to a better end...an end where I can be with my family, has given me the strength to press forward when the way was difficult.
I am ever so grateful for my family. My husband, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and each and every cousin. I am thankful for photographs like these that help me remember those early days of playtime with my cousin, Ben, who felt more like a brother to me than anything.
3 comments:
That is SO fun to see you as a child. That picture of you in the pink shirt with your grandpa looks EXACTLY like Carson. I swear he makes a face that looks just like that too. Crazy.
How awesome to look back and remember these good memories.
Carson looks just like you! Love the trip down memory lane. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for that post, Sara. Grandpa and Grandma really did cherish you. You gave them so much joy. And you are correct, the thing that sustains us is our relationships with friends and especially with our families. By the way, we still call Ben that nickname you gave him when you were both two years old - Benjer!
Post a Comment